Friday, September 25, 2009

Borrowing Internet

"That's the Abu Dhabi way!"
"Welcome to Abu Dhabi!"
Apparently "nothing works in Abu Dhabi" and it also takes "forever and a day" to get anything fixed around here.  Not that I can really complain - or should complain - but I am anyway.  I'm living in a foreign country, away from all my friends and family, not to return to them for two more years (with maybe a visit next year?).  Having reliable internet service in my apartment doesn't seem like too much to ask for!  ...but apparently it is.  So at the moment, I am alternating between reading a new JABA article for class and sending friends Facebook messages, letting them know I'm not a jerk who forgot all about them once I moved to "glamourous Abu Dhabi" ... I just don't have internet!
But enough ranting.  A quick update on life in Glamourous Abu Dhabi!!!
The Holy Month of Ramadan has just ended!  I think it might be disrespectful to be so over-joyed by this (it's like being happy that Christmas is over, I think), so I keep my exultations to a minimum ... but I'm so excited to actually experience Abu Dhabi!  Restaurants and stores keep regular hours.  The Post Office opens before 9pm.  You can drink water in public and chew gum in a cab!  Starbucks opens in time for a coffee before going to work!  It's amazing!
Another amazing thing about Ramadan ending, was Eid Al-Fitr.  This is the long weekend occurring after Ramadan is over.  Therefore, we at the school, had a nice long weekend, where we went to Fujairah for a visit.  We stayed at the Rotana Resort - google it.  It was beautiful!  
But now, we're back to work for full days - 7:30-3:30.  It to be quite honest, and with the possibility of sounding like a princess - it's exhausting!  I haven't made it to the Sheraton all week!  After work, all I want to do is go home and watch episodes of "House" that I bought from DVD Joy (five seasons for 400dhs - such a steal!).
But next week, insha'Allah, Etisilat will have the internet working again in the Blue Towers and I'll be able to actually keep in touch with everyone!  

3 comments:

  1. Yoooo. Salam aleikum, ya akhty.

    Eid Mubarek.

    I've arrived in Muscat. I went through Abu Dhabi on the way there. It was a terribly long flight. Chicago to Abu Dhabi. Rode Etihad. You were right. Friggin' cool. Could've done without the Arabic subtitles on Star Trek, though...it was fun seeing some of their translations (a bit wonky at times).

    Anyhoo. We should talk sometime, if you want. I'm here in Muscat for at least a year. I hear it is quite commong to go to Dubai on the weekends, so maybe I'll go there sometime and if you're free we can get drunk and make fun of people or something.

    Ma3 ssalama,

    Wil Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! What's your email!!?? We should meet up - we're not too far from each other ... I think???

    Or, give me a call!
    050 431 4419


    ( or, +971504314419 if anyone else wants to make a ridiculously expensive phone call!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. adams.wil@live.com

    right now I just have a cell phone. the number is: 97384311

    As Linda said...if anyone wants to see how that is otherwise, + (or 00) 96897384311

    if you want, you can follow my blog, too. haha. http://alwayssunnyinoman.blogspot.com

    Glad you're doing ok there in Abu Dhabi land. :)

    ReplyDelete