Sunday, November 8, 2009

Internet. Update. Random life stuff.

I have internet again ... on my laptop, on my wireless network, in my room! That's HUGE! Hopefully it'll last a while this time! (I'm currently downloading episodes from Season 6 of HOUSE - it HAS to work!)

Just a few more updates about life in the Dhabs:
- it's not as hot, but it's still pretty warm out there in the sun!
- I don't see the sun as much as I used to! Even though it still feels like summer, that whole equinox-thing is still in effect - sundown is around 5:45pm now!
- the semester is wrapping up too quickly! My BIG presentation for Advanced Learning 2 is tomorrow. And I have an annotated bib and final paper to work on!
- Eid is coming soon, which means I'll be flying off to India for a week!

Okay. That's life in a nutshell. Here's some details:

Class is still on Sunday and Monday afternoons. The thing about living in Abu Dhabi, is that everything is on the "-ish". You say 3, they arrive at 3:30. You say 1 day off for Eid and 1 day off for National Day, we get 10 days total. Therefore, a few of us in Classrooms 5 and 6 are going to India for Eid!
(Granny - don't worry! It's going to be safe and I'll send lots of picture!) We're going to be traveling around Kerala (whose capital is about 34 letters long and I can't pronounce - all I need to know is that the airport code is TRV!) and ending at a Wildlife Preserve where we could be surrounded by elephants and tigers! (I hope to see some real tigers up close and send you some pictures, Vicky!!!)

So, other than class, work, and going to India, life is pretty much the same lately. I miss home and my family and my friends and all my kids back in Southborough. But life is still really easy and fun out here!
Lots of things to remind me of home, life the Holiday Cups at Starbucks! I saw a home goods store at the mall with a Christmas tree out front!! My roommate bought a Santa hat for her nephew's stuffed camel!
But it's still in the 90s with desert on one side and ocean on the other and life here is a total time warp!
But aside from all that? The UAE could be like home : )

Soon, I hopefully have more interesting things to post - but for now, life is boring and exactly the same with a few Arabic phrases thrown in : )

1 comment:

  1. Hey Linda! How've the last six months been going? :-p

    I got to thinking about you this morning and wondered how everything was. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete