Monday, August 17, 2009

Abu Dhabi is NOT a Third World Country!

I think that this is a fact that I forget everyday!!!  
I've always wanted to travel - Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, Australia, Antarctica ... okay - EVERYWHERE!  But I also always wanted to join the Peace Corp - it was my dream!!  And now that I've been given the opportunity to do some expansive traveling, it's so hard to remember that I will not be living in a hut constructed of palm fronds with a dirt floor (... and a coconut radio that The Professor built from pieces leftover from The Minnow shipwreck!).  Rather, I will be living in a beautiful city on the Persian Gulf with malls filled with stores that I will never be able to afford to even walk into! (No matter how badly I want a set of Bang & Olufsen BeoLab speakers!)
So is it really necessary to pack shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, and Sharpie extra fine point markers in 12 assorted colors?  But what if I can't buy Paul Mitchell salon products for under $20 at Abu Dhabi's answer to Target?  Do they sell Sharpies in the UAE?  And if not, is it worth paying [1/25 of the total ticket price per pound] if my suitcase is over-weight?

Even if Abu Dhabi is one of the wealthiest cities in the world, will I be able to survive without the creature comforts of home?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Linda,

    It's Wil. You're going to Abu Dhabi? That's freakin' awesome. Maybe you're already there. I might be going to Oman pretty soon (maybe Istanbul...don't know yet). If I go to Oman, we should meet up sometime. :)

    Later.

    ReplyDelete